I Liq Chuan International Fourm

Вернуться   I Liq Chuan International Fourm > Iliqchuan in the World > Off topic discussion

Закрытая тема

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 01.05.2009, 15:23
ben ben вне форума

Windlass
http://www.shouyuliang.com/index.php...267&Itemid=224

(at least I think that's what Ashe is talking about - correct me if i'm wrong)

the person I talked to about johnny's wrist suggested this and swimming after he's given his tendons a chance to cool down... i like the windlass but I like using a wrist diameter sized pvc - a little larger than the one pictured.
Старый 01.05.2009, 18:51
Marty Marty вне форума

A windlass is a manual crank winch/pulley apparatus for lifting heavy objects used on boats. Often when clips are shown of world cup yacht racing there is usually a focus on a crew member furiously cranking away. Don't know though if that is what Sifu has in mind.
Старый 04.05.2009, 00:47
ashe ashe вне форума

Отправить сообщение для ashe с помощью Skype™

Цитата:
Windlass
http://www.shouyuliang.com/index.php...267&Itemid=224

(at least I think that's what Ashe is talking about - correct me if i'm wrong)

the person I talked to about johnny's wrist suggested this and swimming after he's given his tendons a chance to cool down... i like the windlass but I like using a wrist diameter sized pvc - a little larger than the one pictured.
yup, that's what i was talking about. the pvc is essentially what i meant by "thick bar" training too.
Старый 04.05.2009, 03:38
Marty Marty вне форума

I think most people would know that as a roller bar.
Старый 05.05.2009, 07:29
Qiang Qiang вне форума

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm taking a week or two off any exercises that involve my grip/wrists. Now that I think about it, my wrists feel a lot like they did just before I got tendonitis from overtraining the rings a year or so ago.

I'll have to try the ankle circles too. It seems weird that the ankles could have an effect on something as distant as the wrists. That's an interconnection that doesn't make intuitive sense to me yet.
Старый 06.05.2009, 02:55
ashe ashe вне форума

it comes out of the z-health system which shares a lot in common and draws some what upon the works of guys like tom meyers. lot's of the elite dragon door guys like kenneth jay are getting z-health certified.
Старый 08.05.2009, 15:46
ben ben вне форума

Цитата:
...I'll have to try the ankle circles too. It seems weird that the ankles could have an effect on something as distant as the wrists. That's an interconnection that doesn't make intuitive sense to me yet.
Think about the connection in terms of the gait cycle. when you step forward with the left foot (ankle) the right arm (wrist) also swings forward. Z-health (and a lot of other similar somatic modalities) uses the gait cycle, or how you walk, to try to understand the cause of whatever dysfunction is then causing the pain that you're feeling.

Ashe, are you doing the Z-health thing? What do you think of it? As I understand it it is based pretty heavily on Scott Sonnon's (and the Russian's) zdorovye - hence the name. I'm fascinated by this kind of work (I consider it to be a form of somatics - maybe I'm wrong) but dislike some aspects of the way it is presented. If you're interested, this book: http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Neuro.../dp/0750654562 is provides some of the evidence base for somatic movement and treatment and might be worthwhile.

Another place worth looking at is somasimple, which is a decent forum for this type of discussion. They had an interesting discussion about z-health that hit on my one real problem with it here: http://www.somasimple.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4088

word.
Старый 09.05.2009, 04:04
ashe ashe вне форума

i've been working with a few of the z-health drills as the beginning of my warm-ups, to get some neurological activation going on before moving on to mobility drills, foam rolling etc. i was looking into the possibility of getting the r-phase cert, but i'm seriously considering pursuing the ck-fms instead. i think the z-health stuff is predicated more on the facial slings, a la, tom meyers work. i think they work well as the beginning of your warm up, but so far they don't seem like the panacea that they were billed as.
Старый 11.05.2009, 14:51
ben ben вне форума

You'll definitely have to let us know how the ck-fms thing goes if you decide to do it. I really like Gray Cook, I think the way he orders his training makes it both accessible to non-fit or highly dysfunctional people but also useful for athletes...

very cool!
Закрытая тема