I Liq Chuan International Fourm

Вернуться   I Liq Chuan International Fourm > Iliqchuan in the World > Main Forum

Закрытая тема

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 28.07.2007, 16:48
Qiang Qiang вне форума

По умолчанию training with gear

Anyone have any thoughts about training with gear (i.e. gloves, pads, etc)?

You don't technically need any gear for just spinning/sticky hands, but I figure it's probably a wise idea to have at least gloves when actual striking gets introduced to the partner training.
Старый 29.07.2007, 10:41
ashe ashe вне форума

Отправить сообщение для ashe с помощью Skype™

Цитата:
Anyone have any thoughts about training with gear (i.e. gloves, pads, etc)?

You don't technically need any gear for just spinning/sticky hands, but I figure it's probably a wise idea to have at least gloves when actual striking gets introduced to the partner training.
actually i know a thing or two about that!

a) mouth piece is a must.

once you start training more vigorously, accidents happen. one time one of my training partners was holding a shield so i could work some knees, and i slipped off the pad and hit his jaw and he damn near bit his tongue off.

b) cups are right up there too

get a thai cup so you don't ever have to worry about it breaking. plastic cups are fine for baseball, not taking a full force kick to the groin.

c) the full chest sheild is better for ILC than the belly pad.

the belly pad is fine for front kicks, but it's just too low for applications like horizontal wipes. trust me, spend the extra $10. i plan to sell my belly pad on e-bay and then buy the full chest.

d) if you're going to get head gear, get the one by century you'll thank me. it had two velcro straps to adjust the fit so it never spins. if you get other types they tend to spin when you get hit and block your vision.

e) if your going to use thai pads get the ones fom KO Fightgear.

i got the extra heavy ones. they're nearly 6 pounds each. my grandkids will still be using them. i got mine from e-bay for $50. the weight makes them great for training power strikes and kicks. the downside is they're not really any good for training anything specific to ILC.

f) focus mits should be your main tool when training the pads.

i got some nice ones from ringside.

the reason they should be your main tool is that you can do a lot of ILC specific stuff, both as the pad holder and as the "striker". they're fairly light so you can still use your hands to attack and stick, etc. you can also offer better/more angles to your partner (i.e. you can flow through all 8 directions of the throwing hand, which is almost impossible with thai pads)

it's important to realize that learning to hold the pads is a skill in itself. it takes awhile to learn how to do it well.

also remember we're training ILC and not boxing, so don't just copy what boxers/thai boxers, etc. are doing with them.

think of it as almost like sparring, or 1/2 sparring. it's important to move and change your angles and offer a certain amount of resistance and change to your partner. otherwise they might just as well work the bag if your just going to stand there holding the pads in the same spot.

work on holding them at different ranges so your partner can work on both simulated striking to the head and also the "phoenix eye type stuff" that is specific to ILC like "cropping the branches".

f) gloves

the first pair of gloves i bought for sparring were the JKD gloves i actually love these gloves. these gloves were designed by bruce lee. unfortunately they haven't updated the design since then.

pro's: five fingers allows for a lot more grabbing of your opponent.
still allows for concave and convex
the "cuff" gives good support without having to wrap.
they only weigh ~10 oz.

con's: still not the same as being bare handed (less sensitivity, tough to grab from all angles, etc.)
no padding on the palm means no open hands to your partner
the laces means you can't put them on by yourself and can be a pain.
they only weigh ~10 oz.

for my fight at the legacy i had to buy some 16 oz. boxing gloves. i thought i would hate them but i don't. over all i think i still prefer the JKD gloves but the boxing gloves allow you to maintain a relaxed hand that works well for training the open palm type stuff more specific to ILC. drawbacks include not being able to train as much qinna, though you can still do some grabbing with both hands.

lastly, you'll notice the gear that i bought is mostly mid-high price range. don't buy cheap stuff, you'll regret it. just because you can buy a pair of foam mits from a used sports place for $10 doesn't mean you should. (don't buy from places like sports authority/dicks and DON"T buy everlast brand.)

you'll want gear that's going to last, be comfortable to use AND do what it's meant to do, which is protect you.

Последний раз редактировалось ashe, 29.07.2007 в 10:57.
Старый 31.07.2007, 21:34
Qiang Qiang вне форума

Wow, thanks for the detailed answer! That's a lot of useful information.

I hadn't been thinking of the mitts as a good ILC training aide. I didn't initially think of the mitts much beyond a target for your partner to hit. It looks like I'll be picking up some mitts in the near future and upgrading my gloves. I was thinking something along the lines of JKF gloves or gladiator cobra gloves. The JKD gloves look nice, but I only have an hour a week of lunchtime partner training. I'd hate to be using 5 of those minutes tying on the gloves.

Последний раз редактировалось Qiang, 31.07.2007 в 21:37.
Старый 31.07.2007, 23:59
ashe ashe вне форума

if you go with the cobra's, lemme know how they they work out because i was thinking of getting a pair of those myself.

if i get a chance i'll film a little clip of how i have been working with the mits. maybe it'll be useful for you.
Старый 05.09.2007, 02:41
Adrian Lee Adrian Lee вне форума

Good info Ashe. How well does that headgear protect your nose from being broken or lip from getting busted?
Старый 05.09.2007, 22:01
ashe ashe вне форума

Цитата:
Good info Ashe. How well does that headgear protect your nose from being broken or lip from getting busted?
well, your nose is entirely exposed with that century head gear. i so seldom take a good shot to the face / head, it hasn't been much of a problem for me.

remember, in ILC we're not trying to stay outside and trade shots with our opponent. if you're using the sticky hand properly, your opponent shouldn't be able to get much off, especially on the high targets, BUT...

shit happens.

if it's a concern then you should go with a "mexican" style head gear, or one with a full face cage.

mexican style

full face

Старый 12.09.2007, 21:39
Adrian Lee Adrian Lee вне форума

Thumbs up

Thanks for the response Ashe. Those definitely look like designs that I would be interested in checking out, assuming I'll take my training up a notch, which to date I haven't.

The problem I always had in the past with cage type headgear was that it obscured your visibility. I wonder how these would fare. But I guess that's the tradeoff for safety.
Старый 13.09.2007, 10:18
ashe ashe вне форума

Старый 23.05.2008, 15:23
Drago Drago вне форума

Speaking of experience, I strongly recomend MOUTH GUARD, as I had it a few time especially clashing time.
Закрытая тема

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск