I Liq Chuan International Fourm

Вернуться   I Liq Chuan International Fourm > Iliqchuan in the World > Main Forum

Закрытая тема

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 07.01.2009, 05:22
Steve Bobs Steve Bobs вне форума

Hi,

I agree that the 15 basic exercises are the Chi kung (or Nei kung) of ilc. Correct breathing combined with correct body movement and mind focus (awareness) are the requirements of any qigong. I've found that over time my qigong is becoming more ilc and my ilc is becoming more qigong

On the topic I also have started running 6 kms 3 x a week and I cycle to most of my classes (not as dedicated as Chris!). I find that this helps with cardio and also determination and besides my dog loves it

regards

Steve

Последний раз редактировалось Steve Bobs, 07.01.2009 в 05:23. Причина: clarity
Старый 07.01.2009, 22:47
Peter Peter вне форума

Цитата:
I agree that the 15 basic exercises are the Chi kung (or Nei kung) of ilc. Correct breathing combined with correct body movement and mind focus (awareness) are the requirements of any qigong. I've found that over time my qigong is becoming more ilc and my ilc is becoming more qigong
I've never done chi kung, so I'll have to take your word for it. But if I understand you and Miro correctly, the careful and mindful practice of the 15 basic exercises should yield benefits similar to those associated with chi kung/nei kung/ qigong? Interesting - I can already see that I need to pay much more attention to my breathing.

Other issues that we haven't discussed that have a big impact on vitality are probably sleep and diet. That's a big area and I don't even know where to start, other than by saying I like both sleeping and eating.

Peter
PS: "On the topic I also have started running 6 kms 3 x a week and I cycle to most of my classes" - wow, congratulations! That sounds like a pretty good workout.

Последний раз редактировалось Peter, 07.01.2009 в 22:54.
Старый 08.01.2009, 03:42
Steve Bobs Steve Bobs вне форума

Hi Peter,

Yes breathing is an important part ! There are 2 schools of thought 1) that you synchronize your movements with your breathing, using your breath as the guide and 2) that you do the movement and over time your breathing adapts to the correct pattern.

They both end up the same !

There are also different types of breathing and types of exhalation

I would suggest a gradual process that can be developed at your own pace.

First take a deep breath and notice which part of your body expands.

You want the belly (diaphragm) to expand and to be relaxed. This is always the case to start with. If you follow the breath with the mind you are leading the qi down to the dantien (between 2/4 below the navel and inside the body).

Then breath out and pull the belly in and slightly tighten the abdomen and perineum. This is qigong 'natural' or 'Buddhist' breathing. It helps the internal organs, the heart and depending on the amount of tightening, the stomach muscles. You could even tighten the whole body on the out breath but be aware that it is a little dangerous and raises the blood pressure.

This is not the breathing you want for playing ilc But it helps to get the mind and breath to the dantien and is the crux of many styles of qigong and 'external' kung fu. Do this breathing intentionally twice a day for at least 20 mins and you'll have optimum health (that's a liable claim ).

Next is 'reverse-breathing' and again there are variations. In ilc this is emphasized in the 'tu-na breathing', it is so important that it is one of the 15 and the first movement of both the forms !
It is the same in breath as before. The out breath is different in that rather than tightening, you stay relaxed and 'drop' the breath so that you feel a sinking from the sternum to the dantien and the lower belly expands a little more. At the same time there is a sensation of expansion up the back, the lats and out to the fingers. Yin down the front and yang up the back.

I practice both. To me the first is collecting and storing the qi and the second is moving it around the body, the yin and yang of breathing

I use the first for running and cycling so I can get enough air into my lungs and it seems to make them both more meditative and qigong.

As to food and sleep, well I was vegetarian for a few years but now eat meat and I seem to need 7-8 hours of sleep to stay well. There is so much conflicting advise that i try just to not eat too much and eat a varied diet ??????

stay well, train hard

Steve

Последний раз редактировалось Steve Bobs, 09.01.2009 в 10:57. Причина: waffle
Старый 13.01.2009, 17:00
Peter Peter вне форума

Something else that comes to mind on the subject of fitness training is the idea that moderate exercise on a regular basis is much better over the long term than sporadic bouts of higher intensity exercise.

By this I mean that doing 10 push-ups a day is probably far healthier and beneficial than doing 70 push-ups once a week. Or walking 20 minutes a day is better than 2 hours on a treadmill once a week. I guess the possible variations are endless. The lower intensity training also reduces the risk of injury, so fewer injuries means that there are far fewer involuntary, injury-induced training breaks.

The key to regular/daily exercise is to find something that you really enjoy doing. After years of hit or miss (trying different activities), I discovered that I really enjoy working on Taiqi/ILC forms in the morning. It's relaxing and a nice, meditative way to start the day. Depending on my mood, I can work on fast or slow forms, or focus on a particular aspect of a form like noticing where the hip rolls are, or feeling the absorb and project. It slowly gets my body revved up for the day, so that by the time I am finished with the forms, I'm in the mood for more strenous exercise like push-ups and pull-ups.

The 21 Form is part of my morning routine, and I hope to include the Butterfly Form sometime this year.

How often do you guys work on your forms?

Peter
Старый 13.01.2009, 23:41
VEB VEB вне форума

Peter,

Overall I quite agree with you that regular exercises are much better than sporadic.

However, as far as I know body is improving itself quite good when trained close to its limits. Otherwise it does not get enough “stimuli”. However, doing this all the time can also be quite bad, I guess.

Thus, I would say that it’s great and important to train often with not very intensive training, with more rare (but also regular) training close to ones limits. This way of training should be giving both the general fitness, as well as progress in physical form.
Старый 14.01.2009, 02:47
Marty Marty вне форума

There is training for general health and fitness and there is training for martial fitness. They are not the same though one should have overall fitness and health to fight. For self defense one's need is greater for anaerobic fitness and the ability to respond immediately without the benefit of warming up, of course, with enough aerobic fitness (stamina) to run away if the need or opportunity presents itself. Real life encounters are usually of very short duration. For competetive sport fighting one needs both but certainly a greater degree of stamina in order to go the distance in a multi round fight. Ashe is best suited to address this aspect as he is very knowledgeable about fitness and has fought competetively.
Старый 14.01.2009, 05:24
ashe ashe вне форума

Отправить сообщение для ashe с помощью Skype™

Цитата:
Ashe is best suited to address this aspect as he is very knowledgeable about fitness and has fought competitively.
for my last fight i basically did crossfit style training and standard wrestling and hard sparring. lot's of gut busting intervals, like running stairs till you want to puke and then some. basically just doing something flat out for 60 sec intervals (to the point of exhaustion) and then just doing enough intervals to equal your total expected time in the ring.

intensity is key.
Старый 14.01.2009, 17:31
Peter Peter вне форума

Цитата:
There is training for general health and fitness and there is training for martial fitness.
Yes, good point. Since general health is needed/desirable all of the time (by most people), and martial fitness is needed only occasionally, if at all, I would argue that general health should be viewed as being vastly more important. After all, general health serves as the basis for everything we do in life, and a high level of general health also provides the best foundation for martial fitness.

Цитата:
For competetive sport fighting one needs both but certainly a greater degree of stamina in order to go the distance in a multi round fight. Ashe is best suited to address this aspect as he is very knowledgeable about fitness and has fought competetively.
Didn't Ashe have some concerns that his knees would survive the intensive conditioning needed for fight preparation? Thus each person needs to find a balance: at what point does martial fitness begin to have a negative impact on our general health?

In I Liq Chuan terms, it's important to "know your limits", and not go beyond a point that is damaging to your body/spirit.

Peter
Старый 15.01.2009, 04:06
ashe ashe вне форума

Отправить сообщение для ashe с помощью Skype™

Цитата:
Didn't Ashe have some concerns that his knees would survive the intensive conditioning needed for fight preparation?
strictly speaking that's true but the training wasn't the causative factor for the knee issues, simply that the training was aggravating damage that was already present due to other factors.
Старый 09.02.2009, 11:48
Peter Peter вне форума

Цитата:
There's yet another aspect that's important to me... It's sort of the life energy within you that gives you the drive to get things done and enjoy life... Most days I wake up brimming with energy, but on some days I feel lethargic and am just glad to get the day over. .... So much of life depends on this internal source of energy, and I wonder if there is a way to develop it, just as you can develop physical fitness.
A friend of mine recently went on a diet which emphasizes small portions of healthy foods at mealtimes and zero snacking between meals. He mentioned that his energy levels have increased tremendously in the few weeks he has followed this approach to eating.

I've also started to cut back on meal sizes and stopped nibbling between meals, and likewise feel a greater sense of well-being and stronger life energy. So in a certain sense, rather than working to 'develop' this life energy, just by eating less I am "freeing" the energy by avoiding the consumption of unnecessary calories. Fasting is said to boost mental clarity and energy - perhaps eating less has similar benefits on a smaller scale?

Peter
Закрытая тема

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Поиск в этой теме:

Расширенный поиск